Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Office Connector read-only Windows 10

Beate Kriener January 18, 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Office Connector to edit some Excel documents. Every time the files were opened as read-only. I already visited the troubleshooting page but I couldn't solve the problem. I'm using Windows 10 and Edge.

While using Windows 7 there are no Problems at all.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2017

Hi Beate,

Do you get the same issue with Firefox and Chrome?

Beate Kriener January 18, 2017

Hi Rob,

unfortunately I don't have permission to install any other browser than edge :/

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2017

Hi Beate,

Regardless of this problem, you will discover over time that some things in Confluence either don't work well or don't work at all in Edge.  I say this based on the number of times that people on this Answers forum have had a problem in IE or Edge that doesn't occur in another browser, and also first hand experience helping users in-house.  I'm sure that's not your decision, but just keep it in mind if you ever get a chance to get that policy changed!

Anyway, I suspect the problem is to do with the security policy that your company has enabled.  One of the reasons (actually, the main reason) that your IT people won't let you use anything but Edge is because they can control its setting using Group Policy.  A very common Group Policy amongst IT Security people is to prevent people opening Office documents in a browser, because of the risk of malware/virus-carrying macros.

Before we go any further with this, can you check with your IT team if they have done this? If they have, that's the problem.  If they haven't, we can look at the add-on settings, etc.

Beate Kriener January 22, 2017

Hi Rob,

I'll keep that in mind and will try to convince my colleagues to use other browsers instead.

Opening documents works, so I guess this is not restricted. Problem is the read-only restriction.

On the windows 7 PCs opening and editing documents works flawlessy.

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2017

Hi Beate,

When I open a document, both in both Edge and Firefox, I get the following option:

Edit in Office.png

Clicking the "Edit in Office" option allows me to open the document in Word, edit it, and save the changes. Do you have this option?

EDIT: I've just found this ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-38024

Are you using Office 2016/Office 365?  If you are, that ticket suggests you're going to have problems editing documents directly in the browser....

Beate Kriener January 22, 2017

Hi Rob,

thank you very much, this helps a lot smile

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2017

smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events