Curly Brackets for Monospace Text

Hi,

I have several pages in Confluence that require monospace text created inside a single line of regular text. I have used {{some text}}, and it works some times, but other times the brackets don't do anything. They're just added as regular text. Do the brackets have exceptions; can they not be used for certain text strings?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Lindsay,

According to the documentation, the Preformatted style is a Paragraph Style. So, its expected behaviour is to format the whole paragraph/sentence.

If you want to use monoscape format you can highlight what you need and then apply a character format (in the 'More' menu) clicking on monoscape option (see image bellow).

Image: https://drive.google.com/a/atlassian.com/file/d/0B7oxzo8TMlfoVWlGcTMwMnhVV2c/edit?usp=sharing

Hope it helps!

Elisa,

I don't see the "More" menu you are referring to, and I can't access the content in the link you added. I don't have the permissions.

Hi Lindsey,

The "More" cog is the fifth button starting with the "Bold/Italic/Underscore/Color/More"

Let us know if you found it. :)

Cheers!

Also, I've changed the picture's permission.

Let me know if you still cannot access it. :)

Hi Lindsay,

What is your Confluence's version?

It's v5.5.2. So I know I can highlight text and click Preformatted in the headings drop-down menu with this version, but that doesn't allow me to change the font of just a single word in a sentence; it will change the entire line to monospace font.

Don Willis Atlassian Team Jul 16, 2014

There are a few circumstances where the autoformat expresions such as {{asdfasdf}} won't work. These include:

• non-plain-text inside the expression. E.g. *some bold _some italics_ some more bold* doesn't work. Nor does it work if there's a link in the text
  • spaces at either end. E.g. {{some words then a space }} won't work.

As Elisa points out you can use the monospace option in the dropdown in these cases.

I applied the character format of Monospace found in the "More" menu.

The "More" menu looks like a strike-through A with a down arrow and is next to the other text formatting options (bold, italic, underline, color).

Thank you, Elise and Don!

Hey,

I am glad I could help! :)

Could you please choose an answer and close the question?

If you have any further question, please, don't hesitate to ask us.

Best Regards,
Elisa

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

596 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you