Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curly Brackets for Monospace Text

Lindsay Tustison July 15, 2014

Hi,

I have several pages in Confluence that require monospace text created inside a single line of regular text. I have used {{some text}}, and it works some times, but other times the brackets don't do anything. They're just added as regular text. Do the brackets have exceptions; can they not be used for certain text strings?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2014

Lindsay,

According to the documentation, the Preformatted style is a Paragraph Style. So, its expected behaviour is to format the whole paragraph/sentence.

If you want to use monoscape format you can highlight what you need and then apply a character format (in the 'More' menu) clicking on monoscape option (see image bellow).

Image: https://drive.google.com/a/atlassian.com/file/d/0B7oxzo8TMlfoVWlGcTMwMnhVV2c/edit?usp=sharing

Hope it helps!

Lindsay Tustison July 24, 2014

Elisa,

I don't see the "More" menu you are referring to, and I can't access the content in the link you added. I don't have the permissions.

Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2014

Hi Lindsey,

The "More" cog is the fifth button starting with the "Bold/Italic/Underscore/Color/More"

Let us know if you found it. :)

Cheers!

Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2014

Also, I've changed the picture's permission.

Let me know if you still cannot access it. :)

tharbaugh June 11, 2021

What is a guaranteed method for applying monospace type with markup?  How can the monospace attribute be applied without needing to select text with a mouse and click a menu?  I want to be able to apply monospace solely using the keyboard.

tharbaugh June 11, 2021

I thought I figured out how to indicate monospaced text without using the mouse and was going to leave a response here with details but I can't show the examples because the text editor and text rendering in this forum are completely different than what is used in other Atlassian products.

I started avoiding Atlassian products when markup was dropped and the WYSIWYG editor was forced upon everyone.  I cannot say enough bad about the situation and detest using the Atlassian editor and especially dislike the product managers that choose to ignore the many users that plead for the return of markup.

I weep tiny tears of sadness.

Like John Howard likes this
0 votes
Lindsay Tustison July 24, 2014

I applied the character format of Monospace found in the "More" menu.

The "More" menu looks like a strike-through A with a down arrow and is next to the other text formatting options (bold, italic, underline, color).

Thank you, Elise and Don!

Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2014

Hey,

I am glad I could help! :)

Could you please choose an answer and close the question?

If you have any further question, please, don't hesitate to ask us.

Best Regards,
Elisa

0 votes
Don Willis
Atlassian Team
July 16, 2014

There are a few circumstances where the autoformat expresions such as {{asdfasdf}} won't work. These include:

• non-plain-text inside the expression. E.g. *some bold _some italics_ some more bold* doesn't work. Nor does it work if there's a link in the text
  • spaces at either end. E.g. {{some words then a space }} won't work.

As Elisa points out you can use the monospace option in the dropdown in these cases.

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
July 16, 2014

Hi Lindsay,

What is your Confluence's version?

Lindsay Tustison July 16, 2014

It's v5.5.2. So I know I can highlight text and click Preformatted in the headings drop-down menu with this version, but that doesn't allow me to change the font of just a single word in a sentence; it will change the entire line to monospace font.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events