Creating number lists

When I create numbered lists, sometimes there is a lot of content between one number and the next. For example if there were several paragraphs of text in numbered list #3, the next number would revert back to 1 because it would not recognize that it was part of an existing list. How can I correct this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I have found numbered list to be quite dodgy. Often I have to create a list of just major (numbered items), then I go back and paste in the added material using soft returns.

You have two possible solutions:

• Use a soft return for the additional content between numbers (shift+return). Hard at the end to start the next list item.
  • Or install the source editor plugin and edit the list tags there (basically wrap all the content for one list item in <li></li> tags and delete the </il><ol> tags between the two items.

If you do a lot of doc work in Confluence, it really pays to install the source editor. It allows you to fix low-level formatting issues or be able to use RegEx searches, for example, to remove empty <p> tags or remove clutter from pasted text.

Bill and Milo:

Thanks for the suggestions. The soft returns works like a charm although it does require extra work. I wish I'd know about this 5 years ago when I started using Confluence. smile

Thanks, Sandy

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Confluence

Add-on evaluation with confluence templates

Atlassian market place contains number of Apps/Addons which improves the capability of out of the box Atlassian products. It is good to follow a plugin evaluation process before install add-ons. So t...

149 views 12 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you