Create from template - open in new window

drsette January 28, 2019

I am using the Create from Template button, but I want the new page to open in a new window or tab as there are instructions on the main page that are helpful to the user. Is there another macro I can include to do this, or can the Create from Template have that option included?

1 answer

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2019

Dawne,

The way it works is that, once a page is created, it detaches itself from the template. I'd assume that is the new window.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/create-from-template-macro-317196995.html

Victor

drsette January 28, 2019

Victor,

It creates a new page, but you are navigated away from the page with the macro on it. The new page takes its place, rather than opening in a separate window or tab.

Dawne

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2019

Dawne,

It takes its place because that's the way it is supposed to operate. At that point, you've no use for the template but the new page.

Victor

drsette January 28, 2019

Victor,

I don't think you are understanding what I am doing. I have a page with instructions on it for new employees. There is the create from template macro button on the page. When you click the button, it creates a page from the template, which becomes a subpage of the instructions page. It would be nice to be able to click the button, and the macro would create the page from the template and have it open a new page or tab, instead of creating the page and navigating away from the instructions page.

Dawne

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2019

Dawne,

I totally understand what you mean. My question to you is, what would be the purpose of the instructional page at that point a new page is created?

Victor

drsette January 28, 2019

Victor,

There is information on the instructions page for various people as to what they need to do after the form is filled out. It includes links that the form needs to be downloaded to after exported to PDF. We have various corporate requirements that we need to follow in regards to documenting completion of this "training". There are multiple people involved. We can't use the page as the final notice that this is complete. It is a hassle to have to re-open the browser and navigate to the instructions page after the new page from template is created.

There is another macro called create page from script runner that looks like it has that option. I haven't been able to get it to work on our instance of Confluence and I have a ticket into our Confluence team to see if we are missing something that goes with it. I was just hoping there was something else I wasn't thinking of the get the original one to work, like embedding it in another macro that opens in new tab or page.

Dawne

Tazo Lezhava March 9, 2021

Hi Dawne,

was this ever resolved? or maybe you can share the ticket you submitted for the script?

so far the only workaround I've found is right click + open in new tab, which is also not user friendly.

Thanks,

Tazo

Like Silja Mikkola Jensen likes this
Andre dharmawan September 30, 2022

Try Open in new tab when click the create from template will opening confluence dashboard not the page template create page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events