Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create From Template overwrites existing Page.

Joey Jen January 18, 2017

Any comment?

12 answers

0 votes
Scott Martindale August 15, 2023

I know this is a super old issue, but it is still around in 7.19.8 and there is a support ticket for it:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-51591

0 votes
EMtech August 9, 2022

Weird how this bug was mentioned 5 years ago and its still happening (in Confluence Server). I just experienced this behavior after creating a custom template and couldn't understand why this was happening.. now that I know it's a bug, I'll stop fretting!  Very unusual considering if you try to copy the page created from the custom template, you must change the page name as it will not save if you keep the same name (expected behavior.) But, if you create a new page using the custom template, and that page has the same name as one previously created, it will simply overwrite it without any alerts. 

Update: This only happens when I use parameters in the template.  When I removed the parameter and step to enter values, the template worked as expected / did not allow creation of a new page with the same title.

0 votes
StefanN August 2, 2017

@Joey Jen did you raise a ticket for this issue? I can confirm this bug too with Confluence 5.10.8 (server).

0 votes
Kwame van Eijndhoven February 28, 2017

Hi, 

I have the problem. If I create a page from a template it overwrites an existing page with the same name. This does not apply to the meeting notes template, but it does to custom templates. 

0 votes

I will do it today.

0 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2017

Hi Joey,

I've also tried it (Cloud version) and can't replicate the problem.

If you can replicate it, you should raise an urgent support ticket with Atlassian - this is a large and serious bug.

0 votes

We have plugins like "copy page tree", "team calendar" and "Gliffry".

0 votes
Dave Bosman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2017

I tried it on my side and i can't replicate this issue. 

What version of confluence are you using and do you have extra installed plugins? 

0 votes

Hallo Dave,

Your comment is not correct. This is a bug. If we create page with the same name, it can be created from template. Latest created page will overwrite existed page. That is why we ask this question.

0 votes
Dave Bosman
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2017

If user A creates a new page and he names it "test"

User B will not be able anymore to create a page called "test" in the same space. 

However user B will be able to modify the page user A created. 

0 votes

User A create a page name "Test". If User B create page from template and name "test", this page "test" can be created and overwrite existed page "test". The creator of page "test" will be  "A" and modifier "B" .

example page link " https://A.com.tw/confluence/pages/createpage-entervariables.action?templateId=46006274&spaceKey=SNAA2&title=%E9%9C%80%E6%B1%82%E7%A2%BA%E8%AA%8D%E5%96%AE_&newSpaceKey=SNAA2&fromPageId=46577328"

0 votes
Dave Bosman
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2017

Hi Joey,

Can you provide a little more context?

What do you mean with existing page? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events