Confluence page will not save due to error "The title [page title] already exists in space [space title].

Michael Roff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2012

I have created a number of pages in confluence using the Create Page macro.

All pages use the same template which has scaffolding in it.

Most of these pages I can edit and save no problems.

Some of the pages however give me an error - see image attached.

I can change the title of the page, save it, then rename the title back again and this resolves the problem.

This is ok for me, but for general users this is not acceptable. Any ideas on why this is caused and how to fix it?

Would a reindex help?

Thanks - Mick

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Roff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2012

I think I have worked this out.

It seems the pages which were throwing this error had a space at the end of their title.

This was causing Confluence some confusion as when they were edited I think Confluence tried to remove the space only to find the page already existed. I really don't know the inner workings - but maybe this is another sort of check that Atlassian could put when saving a page.

veruskap December 11, 2019

Hi, just came for this. 

It was the space in the title. So strange. Had to remove it and couldn't add it back. Thank you for the comment, it helped.

0 votes
Michael Roff
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2012

Thanks Nic, sorry I wasn't clearer.

There are no duplicate pages in the space.

Each page has a different name.

This is an error that should not be produced. This is evident by the fact that when the page title is changed and then changed back, the error does not reproduce. Hopefully that clarifies things.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2012

Um, don't give the pages the same name? We leave the page names blank so the users have to fill them in.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events