Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Startup Error Shared Directory

Poor User December 9, 2021

Hello Atlassian community, I am seeking help, resolution regarding an issue with Confluence server version 6.15.3

I am running Confluence inside docker, and during Confluence start-up the following error is given on both the Confluence webpage and seen within the Confluence pod (view logs) 

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to create shared home directory in /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence/shared-home

Navigating to that path within the pod (storage is backed by AWS ebs volume) the path of 

/var/atlassian/application-data/confluence 

is actually empty within the pod, but the ebs volume contains data for the volume mount as Confluence has been deployed and running >2 years.

---- added more info below ----

Upon further inspection it appears I missed some important details in my posting.

log4j:ERROR Write failure.
12/9/2021 12:34:42 PM java.io.IOException: Read-only file system

Confluence appears to be re-attempting the initialization to the  /var/atlassian/application-data/confluence...however since the application was previously working..and can recognize there is data there...the boot process fails to complete.

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2021

This is pretty much what it says it is - the user running Confluence cannot create the directory it needs.  This is probably down to permissions (but also check if the disk is full)

0 votes
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

Hi @Poor User Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Since you got ""Read-only file system" error which indicates that the file system currently allows read-only access. You might want to check and grant rw (read/write access) to it and retry.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events