Confluence Data Center Setup two nodes on single server

jaggayya_allamsetty May 1, 2023

We have two server (Ex. Server-1 and Server-2) and currently Confluence singe server software is running on Server-1 and it is working as expected. 

Now planning to upgrade server license to Data Center version and planning to setup software on cluster environment on existing servers (i.e. Server-1 and Server-2) 

Here is two option which we are looking feasibility to setup and need help/suggestion in this regards. 

1) Single server confluence software is running on Server-1 and my questions is can we configure data center version by creating separate node  on Server-1 without distrusting single confluence software configuration. It means, after installing data center still the single server confluence should work as expected. Mean, is possible to run both Data Center version and server license on single server.

2) Other option, can we configure two nodes on same server i.e. Server-2 to install the confluence data center software on both node and then accordingly setup load balancer. 

Our intention is not to procure new server due to limitation on data center for this year.

Please suggest both option is validate if not, suggest best option in this regards.  

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can run two instances on a single server. 

It's pointless doing so though, you are completely defeating every benefit of having a data-center cluster.

Also, if you are planning to migrate from Server to Data Center, and only run one node, then you don't need a new install, you can apply your DC licences to the Server installation and it'll become a DC node.  You don't even need to restart it. (If you are planning to create a cluster with more nodes, then I strongly recommend that you do a proper migration - create a new DC install on a new server and migrate to that, then if you want to reuse the old server as a node, remove the Server install and create the second node on it)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events