Confluence 6.14 to 7.01 upgrade issue

Technology Department - ESI September 11, 2019

Upgraded to 7.01 from 6.14 and I'm getting the following:

System Error

A system error has occurred — our apologies!

For immediate troubleshooting, consult our knowledge base for a solution.

If you would like to receive support from Atlassian's support team, ask your Confluence administrator to create a support issue on Atlassian's support system with the following information:

1. a description of your problem and what you were doing at the time it occurred
  2. a copy of the error and system information found below
  3. a copy of the application logs (if possible).

Your Confluence administrator can use the support request form to create a support ticket which will include this information.

We will respond as promptly as possible.
Thank you!

Return to site homepage…

Cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.refinedwiki.confluence.plugins.theme.original.filters.StartSiteFilter.doFilter(StartSiteFilter.java:46)

3 answers

1 vote

I was able to disable the add-ons by using this article. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-disable-plugins-in-confluence-in-6-1+-using-java-system-properties-899424535.html

Even Gliffy isn't compatible yet. 

0 votes

Getting this when I try to run the disable addons:

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\bin>start-confluence.bat /disablealladdons
Disabling all user installed addons

To run Confluence in the foreground, start the server with start-confluence.bat /fg
2019.09.11_21.53.50
2019.09.11_21.53.50
Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME environment variable is defined
At least one of these environment variable is needed to run this program
Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME environment variable is defined
At least one of these environment variable is needed to run this program
C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\bin>

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

Mark,

The error above, if nothing else is wrong after correcting this, is due to the refined theme app.   Prior to performing an update it is good to run the comparability checker and disabling apps that are not compatible until an update has been competed.  You can use this help document to disable apps and get your instance of Confluence up and running again.  You should be able to disable the apps and after it is up and running update them and re-enable.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-manually-remove-malfunctioning-add-ons-113705118.html

If this does not resolve your issue I would submit a support ticket with a support zip to Atalssian per the instructions above as they will be able to get more information from the logs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events