Bulk change space permissions

Antonio Smith May 24, 2020

Hello,

We are welcoming x amount of employees from another company into our group. We will be sharing one instance of Confluence Server 6.13 but have a requirement to restrict x employees from being able to access (view) all existing spaces. X will have access to their own home page.

All our spaces have (everybody, confluence-users, jira-users) permission groups.

1) How do we bulk remove (everybody, confluence-users, jira-users) and add custom groups to all existing spaces to exclude x employees? We have hundreds of spaces including archived ones so hoping we will not have to manually change these in each space

2) What is the best way to set up global permissions that work for two different permission schemes?

3) How do we audit what permissions are assigned to every space in our instance with/without querying the database?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2020

@Antonio Smith 

I believe that there are a few options that you can use to achieve the bulk piece. We managed to bulk add and remove groups/users from space using Power Scripts for Confluence. We just found it very easy to use and the engine is free.

There is also the bulk apply permissions for DC (latest versions)

For your number 2, as an option, since there is no such thing as the permissions schemes we've got in Jira, you can set spaces as "templates" and use an add-on to create new spaces based on those you set as templates.

For your number 3, it looks like you're looking for the inspect permissions feature, which is only available in Confluence DC. If it happens to be your case, you can take advantage of it as well. 

Cheers

IL.

Antonio Smith June 18, 2020

Apologies for the delay, couldn't access my account. Thanks a lot Ivan, we are working through space routines today.

0 votes
Stella Schneider -Smateso- January 15, 2023

Hi there!

If anyone is still searching for a solution on how to manage multiple space and page permissions without scripting in Confluence here it is!

We just released our new app “Permission Management for Confluence”.

So feel free to give it a try and let us now, if you like it or what you need.

Kind regards

Stella

Dan.Tombs May 3, 2023

@Stella Schneider -Smateso-

Hey Stella. Are you aiming to release a cloud version of your app?

Stella Schneider -Smateso- May 4, 2023

Hi Dan,

thanks for your interest in our app “Permission Management for Confluence”.

However, we are currently not planning to release a cloud version in the near future. The possibilities for Atlassian Cloud Apps, especially regarding user management, are still quite limited. If this changes, I will let you know asap. :)

Since you cannot test our Data Center App and me being curious about your needs, feel free to send me an email with your expectations for this cloud version and my team and I will have a look, if and how it might be possible :)

Best regards

Stella

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events