Are there notifications for overdue Confluence tasks?

Deleted user August 5, 2014

Confluence doesn't seem to issue any notifications for overdue (or almost overdue) tasks. I know there is a way to configure such notifications for JIRA (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/90484/notification-when-a-due-date-is-near-or-past). However, our Confluence and JIRA installations are not yet linked, so we need to make do with Confluence tasks for now.

Is there any way to configure notifications for past due tasks in Confluence?

6 answers

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2014

It looks like you can obtain this functionality with the Ad hoc Workflows plugin for Confluence.

It provides support for due dates and notifications, using the built in Task, Notify feature of Confluence.

Deleted user August 6, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion. That plugin would certainly do the trick, but I was hoping this was a native feature since budget is a factor.

(Here's another link to the Marketplace listing since the one above seems to be broken: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.comalatech.workflow)

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2014

There is some basic logic to change the color of the Task Due Date. (red for overdue, orange for due in the next 7 days) That's a good starting point I suppose, although I'd imagine that this is just done with some simple Javascript near the top of the application, difficult to tie into.

It looks like Atlassian is planning some improvements to Confluence to bring Tasks more in line with how say, JIRA would handle it. This due-date functionality is new as of the current version. As far as built in solutions go, I do not see a option to notify users of their pending due dates.

My initial thoughts are if you guys are ConfDashboard users, you can add their currently assigned task table to their dashboard, for high visibility. I won't be able to experiment with this at work, we're using 5.4.4 here, but I plan on checking that out on my Dev environment at home.

Yes, the dates changing color is helpful, but that still requires users to consistently check their task list. Which they maybe should be doing anyway, but that's more of a process or cultural shift for a team.

Using the dashboard is a good idea. I'll investigate that to see what can be done with that. Thanks for the tip!

0 votes
Simon Fung
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 9, 2020

I am also looking for the same - to have email notification send automatically to Confluence Task assignee when close to the due date or overdue. 

0 votes
Sabrina Aberman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 14, 2019

Has there been an update made to this? Looking to notify an assignee that their tasks are overdue.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2014

Aha! Thanks for that link! I was until recently on Confluence 4.3.7 so it appears that I haven't seen this new functionality. I still don't see any method of notifying users of incoming due dates however.

0 votes

Hi Steven, I was able to assign tasks and due dates like so:

[] @Ryan Young // <task description>

The double forward slashes bring up a calendar that allow you to pick a due date. cf: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Working+with+Tasks

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2014

Ryan Young, I'm afraid there isn't anyway to 'Notify' a user under a condition nativly in Confluence. As far as I know there isn't anyway to even attach a Due Date to a Workbox Task again without plugins. Can I confirm you are assigning issues via

[] TaskName @RyanYoung

on a Confluence page?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events