Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to prevent someone from merging into Master branch?

nobodyIsMe December 5, 2021

Hi,

My company is using BitBucket but I do not know if it is using cloud etc.

So, I got into a situation where I was in a detached Head mode.

Since I am quite unfamiliar with git, I did what the Stackoverflow suggestion and do a create tempBranch and then merge it into the master.

Later, I realised that the master is not my cloned Branch which I need to commit to.

So now all my updates is in the master after I checked the bitBucket site.

This led me to wonder if the administrator can actually control no ones can merge into the master ?

I would also appreciate how do i commit to my cloned branch in this situation.

Tks.

1 answer

0 votes
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2021

@nobodyIsMe 

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community, I'm Norbert from Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support, it's nice to meet you!

With Bitbucket Cloud it's possible to setup branch permissions: Branch Permissions - Atlassian Documentation 

With the functionality of branch permissions, the administrator of the repository/workspace can control the individuals who can merge and/or write to a specific branch. 

Bitbucket Server also has a similar functionality: Using branch permissions (server) - Atlassian Documentation 

Please let us know if these documentations have helped you to achieve your goal?

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events