bitbucket repositories deleted

has anyone with the Bitbucket Server, suddenly had repos go missing? We cannot figure out what is going wrong. They're just automatically being removed. Any clues?

5 answers

We've been using it for a couple of years and that have not never happened. Where do you think it was being removed? Are they missing from the GUI? Missing in the installation directory ($STASH_INSTALL/shared/data/repositories)? or Both?

Missing from both. I had to do a complete recover from our backup in order to get the repos back. No clue why so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has had a similar question.

Hi Ryan,

i checked for the removal of directories from the backend repos path by removing the repo directory from shared/data/repositories.The repo will be still available in the front end in the UI,we cannot clone the repo by the way.Looks like in your instance the repo is completely removed by some command like REST API or using the delete repository command from the front end.

Thanks & Regards

Vishnu

Hi Ryan,

Can you check if anyone with admin access is using REST API's and using remove commands.I suspect that is the main reason

Other reason is the directory where the repo is stored eg will be "46" in the data folder,those directories will be removed

Thanks & Regards

Vishnu

Hi Vishnu,

No admins are using the rest api, but what o you mean by the second part of your comment? 

"Other reason is the directory where the repo is stored eg will be "46" in the data folder,those directories will be removed"

Sorry for missing some important details

Can you check if the repository directories in <HOME>/shared/data/repositories path are being removed

Thanks

Vishnu

Yes, that's what happened. We got a report that a repo was missing. When I went into /shared/data/repositories, that repo was not there. I assumed it was just a mistake on the user's side, where he might have accidentally deleted the repo, but after further investigation we noticed others were missing as well.

0 votes
Jeff Thomas Atlassian Team Sep 12, 2016

Hi Ryan,

If you haven't already, please create a support request at https://support.atlassian.com so that we can help investigate this further.

Please attach a Support Zip and some examples of which repositories went missing.

Agree with @Gabriele Basile - we've been working with the product for years and have never seem repos get randomly deleted.  There is always a reason.  Go in the project that contains the deleted repos and look (in settings) at the audit log - see if it shows any of the corresponding delete repo events.

I opened one from our admin page on the BBK UI.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

688 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot