Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bitbucket repositories deleted

Ryan Weiss September 12, 2016

has anyone with the Bitbucket Server, suddenly had repos go missing? We cannot figure out what is going wrong. They're just automatically being removed. Any clues?

17 answers

4 votes
Aran_Thalion February 28, 2020

I used bitbucket in the past for small privat projects. I really liked it and even would suggest it to colleagues.

After some weird Atlassian cloud migration all my repositories are gone. Some I might not be able to restore locally. I understand that I was no paying customer and should not expect much. But this is unacceptable. I'm out of here. 

tasyrkin October 5, 2020

This is super annoying, will never use bitbucket again =(

Subramaniam_M December 6, 2020

Really it is very annoying. 

2 votes
Mike Shtyrev December 10, 2019

Same here. Repo just got deleted. No reactions on the ticket. 

2 votes
bk April 22, 2019

Same here. I lost all repos after Atlasian took over he bitbucket. This should never happen!

2 votes
Mike Wach March 11, 2019

My private repo was also deleted by Bitbucket. Thankfully I have a local backup which I will be pushing to GitHub instead from now on

2 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2016

Hi Ryan,

If you haven't already, please create a support request at https://support.atlassian.com so that we can help investigate this further.

Please attach a Support Zip and some examples of which repositories went missing.

1 vote
Martyn Braithwaite March 2, 2021

Yes, all the company source code everything has just disappeared from bitbucket. No messages, no explanation, absolutely nothing. Absolutely everything deleted with no explanation whatsoever. I'm the only person with access, and I haven't touched it in over a week.

What the hell.

0 votes
PercyLA March 6, 2021

Just discovered the same thing with several of my repos. The remaining ones are nw under "untitled project".

Trying to open a ticket  butt am stuck here. I need to demo to a client and don't have backups locally. This could be a huge huuuge disaster worth many years of hard work :-(

Untitled.png

0 votes
Filippo Di Natale January 11, 2021

All my repositories are gone too.

At least you could have sent a warning email so that I could backup them myself.

I also think I'm out.

jpbochi January 11, 2021

when I realized this happened to me, I opened a ticket on https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portals

They were pretty helpful, and they did have a backup of all my stuff, which they sent me.

In my case, the issue is that bitbucket dropped support for mercurial, and all my repos there were in mercurial. I converted the repos from mercurial to git, and recreated the repos. Nothing was lost. Hopefully, that was your case, too.

Now, of course, the lack of some notification when that happens (unless it got lost in spam) is pretty upsetting.

0 votes
Subramaniam_M December 6, 2020

I have faced the same problem now. Most my repositories are  missing. Raised the support ticket :( ... 

0 votes
M R Chowdhury November 4, 2019

All my repos are just gone. What just happened? Is that no activity will make the repo gone like that. 

Please check. I used to have atleast 4 projects in bit bucket.

Hope not gone for good :(

0 votes
thomashdk_cabana September 25, 2019

Just randomly lost repo ? any solution for that ?

giopromolla September 25, 2019

Support team fixed it from a backup, they never told me why that happened. Good luck

Like thomashdk_cabana likes this
0 votes
giopromolla May 31, 2019

Same here, just happened a few hours ago. I opened a ticket, please help.

0 votes
Deleted user April 7, 2019

Just happened to me. Opened a support ticket. Hopefully they will retrieve my lost repros..

For some reason it failed to migrate google sign-in to my account. So now I can't access my previous account and it redirects me to the new one all the time

0 votes

I opened one from our admin page on the BBK UI.

0 votes
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2016

Agree with @Gabriele Basile - we've been working with the product for years and have never seem repos get randomly deleted.  There is always a reason.  Go in the project that contains the deleted repos and look (in settings) at the audit log - see if it shows any of the corresponding delete repo events.

0 votes
Vishnu Reddy K September 12, 2016

Hi Ryan,

Can you check if anyone with admin access is using REST API's and using remove commands.I suspect that is the main reason

Other reason is the directory where the repo is stored eg will be "46" in the data folder,those directories will be removed

Thanks & Regards

Vishnu

Hi Vishnu,

No admins are using the rest api, but what o you mean by the second part of your comment? 

"Other reason is the directory where the repo is stored eg will be "46" in the data folder,those directories will be removed"

Sorry for missing some important details

Can you check if the repository directories in <HOME>/shared/data/repositories path are being removed

Thanks

Vishnu

Yes, that's what happened. We got a report that a repo was missing. When I went into /shared/data/repositories, that repo was not there. I assumed it was just a mistake on the user's side, where he might have accidentally deleted the repo, but after further investigation we noticed others were missing as well.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2016

We've been using it for a couple of years and that have not never happened. Where do you think it was being removed? Are they missing from the GUI? Missing in the installation directory ($STASH_INSTALL/shared/data/repositories)? or Both?

Missing from both. I had to do a complete recover from our backup in order to get the repos back. No clue why so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has had a similar question.

Like tamas994 likes this

Hi Ryan,

i checked for the removal of directories from the backend repos path by removing the repo directory from shared/data/repositories.The repo will be still available in the front end in the UI,we cannot clone the repo by the way.Looks like in your instance the repo is completely removed by some command like REST API or using the delete repository command from the front end.

Thanks & Regards

Vishnu

guser August 17, 2018

This has just happened to me...WOW

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events