Make folder private in bitbucket

Is there a way to make a folder in a repository private and only a few users can read and write to that folder? Ideally users without private access to the folder will be able to check out the repository but the private folder will not be present. Only users with access to the folder will be able to checkout the full repository. Is this feasible

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi @Christopher Laurence
unfortunately on a separate folder is not possible to set permissions that differ from the repository permissions  

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know if there is a way to keep two separate repositories inline with each other? I'm thinking of having two repositories a public and private. The issue I'm facing is that we have IP code that some people need to see and it is dependent on the public files. 

Put the private code in its own repo.  Don't attempt to replicate the public code.  Possibly look into submodules - I haven't really used them, but I think they'd be applicable to your case.

Thanks Tim, using submodules are a good solution to my issue.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,325 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you