Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is single-node Bitbucket Data Center supported on Windows Server 2019?

Ray Bird December 14, 2021

We had installed Bitbucket Server 6.10.0 on Windows 2012R2.  During the past year, the license was upgraded from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket Data Center.  I am now looking at upgrading our installation to a recent version, such as the 7.17 long term support version.

However, the supported platforms explicitly state that "Microsoft Windows is not supported for Bitbucket Data Center".  Yet when I follow the Data Center install instructions for a single-node configuration, it points me to the Bitbucket Server installation page, from which informs me that I can install on Windows.

I am confused.  If I use the Windows installer to install a single-node Bitbucket on a Windows Server and use a Data Center license, am I running on a supported configuration?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2021

There's a peculiarity under the hood here.

Bitbucket Server and Bitbucket Data Center are the same software, and a DC node installation is exactly the same as a Server installation (it's not quite the same when you're adding more nodes, there's a bit of extra config to do).  It's just your licence that makes the first node think of itself as DC or Server.

So, yes, the docs for DC, when saying "go read the docs for installing a server to run a single node DC", do end up landing you in the docs for server, which then go on to say it is supported.

But, no, Bitbucket DC is not supported on Windows.  You won't have any problems running the single node, but you're not supported if it's got a DC licence, and if you start raising support requests, Atlassian could simply say "you need to run it on a supported platform before we can help".  You will have problems if you add other nodes whether they're on Windows or not.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events