Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid username or password from Sourcetree with app password

JulianBushell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 29, 2018

Hi,

I am unable to use Sourcetree with my Bitbucket account. I get in Sourcetree e.g. for Fetch operation, error message "remote: Invalid username or password. If your organization manages your account or you've enabled two-step verification, create an app password to log in: https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/9DJmMQ"

I have recently added 2FA. So in Bitbucket settings, I created an App password.

I made sure to go into Credentials Manger in Windows to remove all BitBucket cloud entries.

I went into Sourcetree (version 2.6.10.0) tools options Authentication and deleted all the entries there also. Then added my Bitbucket account with my App password. Where previously it had my email address, I put in my username. The Authentication test passed.

Unfortunately, when I try and use Fetch from Sourcetree, I get the authentication error message. How do I solve this problem?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JulianBushell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 30, 2018

To answer my own question, the solution was to go to Sourcetree tools options Git then click Update Embedded.

0 votes
Mitesh Sura August 4, 2020

Hi Julian, we are running into same issue when committing via SourceTree. The strange part is, sometimes the app password works, sometime it does not. We have not changed any configuration since it was last working. Also, under Authentication, it shows a green symbol suggesting both username and password are valid. 

We also created new app password with edit access, but no luck. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events