Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to search in side-by-side diff for code that is currently hidden?

sischnei
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 21, 2021

My company recently upgraded Bitbucket Server and now the UI of the diff viewer has completely changed. Apparently, it was a long standing user request to not override Ctrl+F in the diff viewer which has finally been implemented.

In the new version, instead of showing the search within the side-by-side diff viewer, the browser search view is used. However, when reviewing PR, most of the time not all of the code is shown right away and instead hidden and needs to be manually revealed. This in turn means, that the code is no longer searchable (as it is not rendered in the DOM - thus also invisible for the browser) which is extremely annoying when e.g. trying to find out other usages of a variable that has been modified in a PR.

Even more so, there seems to be no easy way to show the entire source file in the diff viewer without first searching and then clicking "Show x hidden lines" button multiple times.

My current workaround is to click the "View the entire source for this file" button at the top right of the editor to open a second tab with the full source code. This standalone code viewer still has Ctrl + F overridden and works well to search through the code. But now I have to go back and forth between tabs in order to do review the code and add comments which used to be very comfortable and easy in older versions.

Is this really as bad as it seems to me, or is there a hidden easy solution for this problem?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events