Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why not possible to simply create Epic under Initiative??

VINCENT DUPONT January 18, 2022

Hello,

I try to setup a Portfolio management with Advanaced Roadmap.

I created initiatives and hierarchy, all work well

I can manage the hierarchy in the adv roadmap application, however my colleagues and I are used to to use the standard Jira issue view.

Why is it not possible to create an Epic under a Initiative from inside the issue edit screen? It is well possible from the Advanced roadmap screen! so what is blocking?

From the Initiative edit screen I can only create sub-task, and they break the hierarchy and are no more visible in the Roadmap. I need to go out my initiative, create a new Epic (from blank) and then link the Epic to the Initiative. This is completely all way wrong

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

Hi @VINCENT DUPONT 
That would be a nice feature to have, but alas, currently this is not doable.

Why? from a pure Jira prospective, the new issue type/s you create (like Initiative) are at the story level....the only level native Jira will let you create new issue types at (unless specified as sub-tasks). Then via Advanced roadmaps hierarchy you create the level/s above Jira Epics...this hierarchy occurs via the "Parent link" field , which along with the Team field, are Jira premium/enterprise only fields....which does make for some compromises in native Jira.

That said, you can link up from your Epics to the Initiatives via the Parent link field, just as you would link stories etc to Epics via the Epic link field.

Hopefully this is helpful/makes sense???

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events