Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan of many JIRA Projects

Alex Paransky September 27, 2019

We have multiple teams.  For each team we have a JIRA Project with either Scrum or Kanban boards.  Some boards are using Days and others are using Story Points for estimation.

At times, however, we have initiatives that span across multiple engineering teams.  These are represented as Epics in different JIRA Projects.  To allow our leadership to see an overall progress across multiple teams, we created a "composite" Portfolio Plan across multiple JIRA  boards of different teams but ran into trouble since some JIRA Projects are using Story Points and others are using Days for estimation.  The "composite" project does not seem to show one or the other correctly.  The schedule breaks and does not show proper relative times when the Epic is scheduled for execution on a specific team.

In short, we want to be able to see a combined view of a set of Epics (representing a cross team initiative) across multiple JiRA projects/boards some estimating in Points, others in Days, some using Kanban while others using Scrum.

Can Portfolio do this?  If not, are there any plans to add this feature?  Are there any other products in the marketplace that can help us track this information?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2019

Hi @Alex Paransky

You can have a mix of points and time-based estimates, allowing for conversation between the two.

The instructions to do this can be found here.

Does this resolve the issue? Or is the mixed board types also causing some issue?

Ste

0 votes
Alex Paransky September 29, 2019

That fixed the Story Points to Day's conversion issue.  Thank you. 

However, now I am stuck with the following situation.

Suppose I have two JIRA Projects managed by two Portfolio Plans (one each). One Plan is defaulting to 2 days for each un-estimated Story and 8 days for un-estimated Epic.  The other project's plan is configured to ignore un-estimated Stories and Epics.

My assumption is that Portfolio will consider the input of Stories and Epics while doing story point to day conversion.  However, when it comes to actually showing the schedule, the settings of the composite project would prevail.  If this assumption is false, then the rest may not make sense.

This would re-calculate a new schedule for composite Plan that would not match individual Plan schedule for one of the projects.  

How do I make the schedule in composite Plan match one of the individual Plan if plans have different scheduling settings?

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events