Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Advanced Roadmaps as PDF

Mariah Rottoli February 5, 2021

Hello, we´re trying to export Advanced Roadmaps with stakeholders who don´t have Jira permissions and the Public link fails because they can´t see the macros unless they have a jira user profile. When trying to export the Advanced Roadmap, I only found the "export as csv", which does not work for us. 
Is there a way of exporting it as PDF instead?

5 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2021

Hi @Mariah Rottoli ,

Adding image export (it would mostly likely be PNG rather than PDF) is something that we're really keen to add but unfortunately this keeps slipping down the priority list on our roadmap.  We're aware that this is a key feature that customers need and want to get to this as soon as possible but we have to balance relative priorities of features and have a limited number of developers available to work on new features. I'm not in a position to give you any idea of when we'll get to this.

I appreciate this is probably a somewhat disappointing response for you but I just wanted to be honest and set your expectations realistically,

Regards,

Dave

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2021

Hi @Dave ,

Any updates about this feature? We need to plot our plan on A0 to use in construction sites. So it would be a welcomed feature.

Regards,

Rudy

3 votes
Answer accepted
Vinod Ramadoss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2021

Hi Mariah,

I suppose the pdf feature is not there yet, I can see a request already in "Gathering Interest" state, you can vote for the same

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-1295

Eva Popov December 14, 2021

Hi all,

The link above from Vinod is for Jira server. There is the same request to be able to export to pdf for Jira cloud as well:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-19755

Like Allister Scicluna likes this
2 votes
Morgan Barnes March 31, 2021

This Chrome-Extension allows you to capture and save your view as a PDF, may work as a way around this issue.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gofullpage-full-page-scre/fdpohaocaechififmbbbbbknoalclacl

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2021

You're quite right @Morgan Barnes - and these style of plugins are things that we have recommended in the past. The important thing is that they scroll down the page because Advanced Roadmaps is implemented with virtualisation which means that we don't render parts of the plan that aren't on the screen.

The main disadvantage of this is that you're rendering static images of controls that you can't interact with. The designs we have for a dedicated export facility are actually an alternative view which doesn't require interaction to understand (for example when you have filters applied the button says "X filters applied" but you can only find out which interactively - in our designs for an export the image would clearly describe how the plan is configured. It's unfortunate that we don't have enough developers at the moment to get to implementing this sooner!

Regards,

Dave 

0 votes
Jan Stähle June 29, 2023

Is there any experience of a successful implementation of  Better PDF Exporter in this regard or another plugin which allows a PDF export of content coming from Advanced Roadmaps you would like to share? We are still working with the screenshot tool as a temporary workaround and keep looking for alternatives.  

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 3, 2023

@Jan Stähle Many of our customers have implemented Advanced Roadmaps exporting with Better PDF Exporter. We are available for help if you get stuck or need help with your specific use case, just reach out!

0 votes
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 15, 2021

Hi @Mariah Rottoli 

One option you can try is the integration between Better PDF Exporter and Advanced Roadmaps, which allows you to export your roadmaps into customizable PDF documents.

Learn how to export Jira Advanced Roadmaps to PDF (in 3 steps).

jira-portfolio-fields-issue-navigator.png

(Please note that Better PDF Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm part of the team developing it.)

Mariah Rottoli February 24, 2021

Hi Levente, thanks for your answer.
Our team tried exporting a roadmap but the only view they got is a list (similar to the template you showed). They wanted a view of the roadmap plan overall (as seen in Jira).
I´ll try and find other templates to see if any of they fit their need.
Thank you!

Allison Carlson May 7, 2021

@Mariah Rottoli  - I too am looking for this feature.

Did you have any luck finding a way to export the actual plan view to a PDF?

thanks

Mariah Rottoli May 14, 2021

Hi @Allison Carlson unfortunately, we haven´t found an alternative for this yet :( 

Allison Carlson May 14, 2021

Thanks for your  response. 

I ended up  using the chrome extension mentioned above Morgan Barnes... it was an acceptable workaround (for now!).

Like Mariah Rottoli likes this
Tanna Walters July 9, 2021

Hi Allison, 

Have you run into any issues with random parts of the roadmap being cut out or the screen show showing white gaps? Maybe it is because there are so many tasks, but I have yet to get one acceptable screenshot from the extension. Thank you!

Allison Carlson July 12, 2021

Hi @Tanna Walters  - I haven't run into any issues with random parts of the roadmap being cut out or the screen show showing white gaps.. however if I have a plan that covers multiple pages down,  only one page of the plan can be printed  (ie: exported to PDF) at a time.  So then I have to print, scroll to next page, print, scroll to next page, print.. and so on.

We Rreally need a way to export the ENTIRE plan to a PDF  (per the feature request mentioned above, which I'm waiting closely.)

Tanna Walters July 12, 2021

Hi @Allison Carlson - I have noticed that the extension will scroll the whole page automatically which is what is causing the gaps because it is capturing the image before the page has loaded. I agree, the feature is much needed.

AH January 24, 2022

@Tanna WaltersI know this is old, but for anyone else looking, I was able to get around that by exporting the image into Snagit & editing to remove the gaps. Hopefully a better solution will pop up at some point.

Tanna Walters January 24, 2022

@Alan Harris Hi Alan, thank you for the tip, I will have to try it. Unfortunately, it sometimes also overwrites portions of the plan because it is so large. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events