• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I create an issue hierarchy level above epic Edited

I want to create a new level above epics?

e.g. Function/Initiative something like that and I don't see a option.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Jira Software only implements Epic -> Task -> Sub-task.

You can get more layers with Portfolio for Jira, Jira Align or Structure for Jira.  There's some other stuff you might look at, but those are the only three fully intended to create more layers over Epic

Thanks Nic.

I'll probably have to restructure the issue type with different names to use existing hierarchy offered by JIRA

If you do that, please do not rename "Epic".  This breaks some stuff in Jira in subtle ways that you won't spot until it's got quite bad.

This is likely to change soon, but at the moment, it causes too many problems.

Thanks Nic. I'll remembr that.

Is it only with Epic, or changing User stories will all have an impact?

Just "Epic" - do not rename those.  Stories and the rest, fine.

You will need a tool, such as Portfolio for Jira, to create a higher level.  Portfolio will give you the ability to create Initiatives, which can roll up Epics.  Themes can also be used to roll up Initiatives.

I believe Big PIcture will provide you with Programs, that are similar to Initiatives.

Thanks Robert.

I just needed a level between Epic or User story...or if possible a level above Epic.

But getting an additional tool for a small request feels like a lengthy process and not sure if it's worth it to pay for another tool.

Are you using Jira Cloud Premium by chance?

not at this stage. Does it allow to create Hierarchy?

In Kanban, I can see there is a Hierarchy Epic> User Story> Task

But whereas in Scrum, it allows me to only User Story inside Epic, but I can't link Task to user stories

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

Introducing Advanced Roadmap’s new dependency report

To see this feature in action check out our recent dependencies demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQu5VsUqyZA Keeping on top of your dependencies is a key part of ensuring project success....

148 views 2 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you