Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to move subtask under issue type for next sprint

Garden16 January 18, 2022

To manage defects, we use defect subtasks under the bug issue type. For a specific sprint, defects (defect subtasks) are opened under Bug issue. Any open defect subtasks (defects) that do not have resolutions and are not in status closed must be moved to the bug issue type for the next sprint.

How do I transfer open defect subtasks from Sprint 1 to Sprint 2? It is possible to create an automated rule that moves all defect subtasks that are not closed to the bug issue type for the second sprint.

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
appsmaticnet December 18, 2023

Using "Bulk Edit " on parent task I was able to move sub-task from sprint-1 to a new sprint  then following the wizard choosing "Move Issues"  in "Operation Types" step to move target sub-task into the same project as "Story"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Bulk Edit -> Move can not change the sprint on an issue (and certainly not a sub-task because they do not have sprints), but you can use it to change the parent issue.  So I suspect what you have done is changed the parent to an issue that is in the current sprint.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

You do not.

Sub-tasks are not sprint items, they don't go into sprints themselves. 

They can be thought of as being in a sprint only when the issue that they are a part of is in the sprint.

What you are doing is not good practice and it certainly is not Scrum or Agile.  It sounds like you should be raising bugs as sprint items (stories) and putting them in the backlog as usual.

Garden16 January 19, 2022

They can be thought of as being in a sprint only when the issue that they are a part of is in the sprint. 

Here in this scenario, the bug issue type belongs to a certain sprint 

How do I transfer open defect subtasks from Sprint 1 to Sprint 2? It is possible to create an automated rule that moves all defect subtasks that are not closed to the bug issue type for the second sprint.

1: Sprint 1 -> Bug issue type -> 1: Defects subtasks - status - Closed  

2: Defects subtasks one - Status - Open

2: Sprint 2 -> Bug issue type-> Add  the Open status Defect subtasks from sprint 1 under sprint 2 Bug issue type

I need an  automated flow to transfer the open status defect subtasks to move under the next sprint's bug issue type

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2022

Again, you do not transfer sub-tasks between sprints.  Sub-tasks are not sprint items, they're only in a sprint because their parent is - they are a part of their parent story.

The parent story is not done if it has open sub-tasks, and when that moves into the next sprint (because it is not done) all the bits of it move with it.

Quite simply, you do not need to automate anything here, Jira handles it all for you, off-the-shelf.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events