Our software dept here runs Jira. I was asked to set up a Jira Service Desk for outside customers. I may be misunderstanding this but under Customer Permissions / Who Can Raise Requests I chose 'Customers who are added to the project'. The thinking being this would only allow our customers to create support tickets rather than allowing anyone on the internet. And we would then just create user accounts for our customers. So under the Help Desk project/Add Customers I added a test customer.
If the customer goes to ourjiraserver/servicedesk/customer/portal/1 and logs in they get the Help Desk okay but if they go to ourjiraserver/ and log in they are on our system dashboard instead of the Help Desk. It doesn't appear they are able to do anything there but we don't want customers logging in to the dashboard. We only want them to see the help portal. I'm assuming I must be creating users incorrectly (or misunderstanding their role).