Hi!
My company are modernising our Jira plugin to have real-time server-client communication, and are in need of some technology to handle the server-side implementation.
The first options that comes to mind is using WebSockets or Server Sent Events (SSE) for this purpose; however, I have yet to find someone who has gotten WebSockets to work in a Jira context, and I am very uncertain about the applicability of SSE as well.
From what I understand, the two current Java implementations of SSE are JAX-RS 2.1, and Spring 4.2. Version 7.13 of Jira seems to provide OSGi bundles of JAX-RS 1.9 only, so no luck there, while Spring 4.2 is available. Unfortunately, configuring Spring 4.2 for SSE appears to require a DispatcherServlet to be configured, which I haven never managed to get working properly when attempting to set up Spring MVC at an earlier occasion. (One must add to web.xml, which we don't want to touch..)
Does someone have insight or experience with these problems, or any advice as for how to proceed?
Regards, Tormod