We have the POP3 connector setup to create service desk tickets from e-mail.
JIRA Sevrice Desk 3.1.7
We have repeatedly encountered this issue several times in the past week while we trial JIRA Service Desk, and it is a deal breaker for our adoption of this system:
An email is sent directly to the service desk e-mail and it is processed as expected. A random time later (days?), an email is sent to the service e-mail address. The e-mail just sits in the Inbox (I logged into the web based interface for it and confirmed this). Many hours go by and it still sits there. I send another e-mail directly to the help desk address. The second email just sits there as well. I click on the Test Jira Service Desk Email Requests application menu and it reports "No problems found with email settings configuration. Successfully connected to the specified email server.". Still the e-mails just sit. "View log" shows no activity (no failures, no successes) since the previous day. Finally, I restart the JIRA Tomcat daemon. Following the couple minutes it takes to stop and start, the e-mails in the inbox are processed into help desk issues immediately as expected. New e-mails sent soon after the restart are processed within a couple minutes.
This proves to me that the Email requests "connector" is properly configured and that the "processing" of the items in the inbox stalls somehow after the service has been running. I have checked the https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshooting-jira-service-desk-incoming-mail-790960076.html but I overlooked the SchedulerAdmin section somehow until after a second look just now so I can't say if there was info in there while the issue was occurring.
Maybe there is a more detailed log somewhere with more detail or any recommendations on why this might be happening?