I have
Hi @rakesh-eminence,
In Bitbucket Cloud, please go to [Your Repository] >> Settings >> General >> Repository details >> Update repository details >> Main branch.
At the same time, I would suggest you on having a look at Branching a Repository, focusing on The Branching model which describes the DEVELOPMENT label and PRODUCTION (disabled by default).
More information is also available on Weird square appeard on Branch site.
Hope the above answer to your inquire.
Kind regards,
Rafael
Hello @Rafael Pinto Sperafico
After following the above - I am still seeing in the branches view that master is identified as MAIN. I can only view develop branch when I change the selection criteria to all branches.
It doesn't work for me.
The branch can only be chose from dropdown list.
But it always limit 25 results and not searching exactly the text I type in, just list out any branch name including that text.
So I could not find the correct branch to set it as main branch.
In my experience, I was able to change this setting from the General > Repository Details sidebar menu tab. In the main content area, there is an Advanced section that is closed by default. Open it and there are other settings, including one for "Main branch"
is there a way to change the default setting from master to main?
Thanks
I have not seen it built into BitBucket, however what you can do is create a new "main" or "mainline" branch from master, set that as the root and then delete master.
I want this for my workspace not per repo
This is the correct answer
Here are the steps to change the "Main" branch
Now your main branch is changed.
There is still no way to change the default initial main branch name?
let me know answer?
Can someone please provide some screenshots (from 2022)? I am lost in an endless web of sidebars, ever-shifting avatars (top left, bottom right), Cloud, Personal Settings, Account Settings, and other endless menus that is the Atlassian eco-mess. Where exactly do you find any of these menu items in Bitbucket??
Hi Ken,
TL;DR the suggested solution only works if you already have a "main" branch in your repo. It also needs to be performed per repo.The default name is still "master". A new ticket was made for this that you can find here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-22261
Made a quick test repo. The location mentioned is located under the repository settings (last item, on the left hand side bar at time of writing this).Clicking it you automatically end up at the "repository details" page.
On that page you scroll down, and open the "Advanced" section. In that section there is a drop down where you can select what your "main branch" should be. But it only lists the available branches on your repo.
If you create an empty repo, and don't specify the default branch name it still only lists "Master" as an option.
Stijn
Thank you. Any movement on fixing this? As you rightfully pointed out, Atlassian is contradicting themselves preaching to move away from the "master" terminology, but then providing no easy/automatic setting to do so!
100% agree
If you create a Jira SW Project and select to create a repo, it creates the master and not main. Pretty average UX and integration between the tools.
Thanks.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.