I am using a custom workflow, that is specific to our business process. For reporting and historical purposes, I am looking to keep track of the amount of time each issue spends in a given step of the workflow. For the scope of our workflow, each step corresponds to its own status. IE. the "development" step is linked to the "development" status. I largely use the words step and status interchangably.
I am running JIRA 4.4 and have installed JIRA Suite Utilities plugin. This provides a transition tab for each issue. It tracks the total time spent in each step, as well as the number of times each transition is executed. While this is useful, it does not provide the full functionality that we need. Our business process allows for transitions back to a prior step; therefore, a step may be encounted twice, or infinite number of times. For this reason, I would like to have the ability to track the time in each iteration of a particular step.
IE. If "step 3" was encountered 4 times, I would like 4 different time logs or recorded duration for this.
Another approach to this situation that we have toyed with is to use the "Log Work" feature. If it would be possible to log work specific to a particular step that would suffice as well. As far as I know, it is not possible, or difficult, to alter the log work screen. If it is possible to log work to a specific step, it could be implemented as part of the transition screen and allow us to track to time spent in each iteration of the step.
If anyone has any insight as to how I can track, and ideally report on, the data that I am looking for please point me in the right direction.