Can someone from Atlassian please help me understand how to actually keep up to date with the different versions of Sourcetree for Windows and to see whether a reported bug has been fixed in a certain version? Currently the web pages gives a very confused message about this.
First some background: My company recently moved to Git and opted for Sourcetree as the GUI tool. We have roughly 170 people using the application, so when we rolled it out several issues were found and reported to me for coordination. I try to ensure that everything has been reported to Atlassian and try to keep track of new releases in order to see when issues has been fixed so I can test and then recommend my users to upgrade. I really want to help make Sourcetree better, but currently you are making this very hard for me:
- The download link on https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ is not pointing to the latest version. Currently it is pointing to 3.0.12 but I know for a fact that 3.0.15 has been released since some of our users have received it via the automatic update. The download link for the enterprise version is even older, currently it is at 3.0.8. I get that you may want to use a slow roll-out for new releases via the automatic update, but since there are so many issues with the current versions I must be able to get hold of the latest one in a controlled manner.
- The download archive on https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives is very outdated and does not seem to be maintained at all.
- Release notes are very hard to find and cannot be matched to reported issues. The only release notes links I can find on the web pages are on the download archive, which only contains very old versions. By guessing what the URL ought to be I managed to get hold of it for 3.0.15, but that is not very convenient. The issue id used in the release notes use the SRCTREE prefix, but is referring to an internal Jira rather than the one I can publicly access. This makes it impossible to track the status of reported bugs in the SRCTREEWIN project.
- In general the publicly accessible Jira projects would benefit from a cleanup and must follow what is actually released better. The release handling in SRCTREEWIN lags behind, and all releases still have status Unreleased there. Some have dates, some have not. It is also very confusing that there are three different projects, SRCTREE, SRCTREEWIN and SRCTREEDEV. The activity from Atlassian staff also needs to improve in these projects, particularly if I at-mention a user to provide new information or ask a question.
- Are new releases announced somewhere? I have not managed to find anything, and the blog on https://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/ has not been updated since August 2018.
- How do I know whether Atlassian has picked up a problem when reporting it on the community forum? Do I have to create an SRCTREEWIN issue just to make sure?