- We would like to plan issues across multiple projects, ideally on one single agile board
- We would like to group those issues into sequential blocks of time, each block corresponding to a target milestone. Some of the issues need to be fixed by a given milestone. The rest can be assigned to a block based simply on priority (as each time block has a fixed resource that should be used effectively). The time period between project milestones can range from 2-6 weeks approximately.
I can create a Scrum or Kanban board and can use a JQL query to associate multiple projects to that board. But I am stuck as to what is the best approach for point 2 above. Should I use the concept of JIRA Epics to group issues in accordance to milestones? Or 'Versions'? Or should I even group those milestones into sprints?
Currently I am using Epics, but this causing a bit of confusion amongst the team, because after some iteration our backlog currently shows epics in a mixed order, in the sense that some issues for epics for 'Milestone A' appear in priority lower than some issues for 'Milestone B'. This can be fixed of course by re-distributing the issues to the correct Epic, but I wonder whether this is the correct approach, or if there is an alternative approach that is recommended.
As a side-comment, I was planning in the future to use Portfolio to view work in a Gantt-chart manner, so if there is a recommended approach to organizing issues such that it works with Portfolio, any advice would be appreciated.
Another relatively minor confusion is that some team members have been using Epics in the past to capture issues for a given feature needed in our project, so cannot relate Epics to milestones. I plan to remedy that by using components for features instead. Thoughts appreciated.