I have been an Atlassian Community member for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. I sure wish this series existed back when I started, as it took me some time to move from lurker to contributor, as I didn't know what I didn't know. I am still learning every day, but fully enjoying the experience - I have learned a tonne, and connected with some amazing people. Here are three things I wish I'd known when I first joined the community:
1) Don't be intimidated by the Atlassian Community login screen stats

Where I am from there is a population of 145,000 people for the whole Island, so seeing those numbers jump out at me when logging into my account for the first time was intimidating, with 2,452,318+ members. As large as the community is, it doesn't feel that large or overwhelming once you dive in. It has a small community feel the way it is structured and organized.

Take advantage of the Welcome Center. This didn't exist when I was a new member, but I wish it did! What a gem of a resource for new members to the community. Think of it as the shallow part of the ocean where we learn to scuba dive before we venture into the rest of the limitless depths. With a manageable number of discussions (300 posts), and a nice size group of individuals (339+) to engage and connect with as you navigate the community. Learning together, in my opinion, is so much more enjoyable.
The "Welcome Watercooler - say hello" is a great post to get started.

2) Earn badges for your engagement efforts
As mentioned, when I first joined the community, I looked around and lurked on posts. Then life got busy, and time passed and I still didn't make my first post. What finally worked for me is I scheduled time each day to read an article, comment or like a post, ask and/or respond to a question.
I love the Atlassian Community badges, especially the monthly ones. It helps add an additional incentive to be active in the community if you know you will earn a badge for your efforts. Gamification at its best. Here is a link on "How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community". If you are anything like me, once you earn a few badges, you will want to see your badge collection continue to grow on your user profile.


3) As busy as you are, make time for fun
The community is a fantastic platform to learn from others and find answers that can help you be more efficient and productive in your work, but don't forget to have some fun as well. That's where the community magic happens where you get to know others from all over the world, and find out you have more than one common interest (not just your love of Atlassian products).

Check out the miscellaneous-monday, friday-fun, and off-topic tags to brighten your day and take a little break from your work to recharge your energy.
I look forward to connecting with you all, I hope my tips resonate with you. I wish my time machine was working so I could go back to when I was a new community member and implement all the helpful tips shared by community members and champions the past couple of months for tuesday-tips. This three-things weekly series would have helped me immensely! I hope you will enjoy this community as much as I do.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and cheers to 2019!