Hi there,
We have JIRA 5.1.3 and use internal directory for authentication, user and group management. We want to move to LDAP for authentication and user/group management. We are also going to implement confluence in the next month so I want to get the authentication groups and LDAP sorted before that happens.
Can you give me advice on what the best methods for ldap authentication and user and group management? I was thinking of having LDAP for authentication and user/group management. We are moving to have LDAP as our single user authentication database. However for group management I am not sure if LDAP will work. The main issue I see is that for our projects in JIRA we have a mail group list name as the project lead. This is so any issues created for that specific project will have email notifications sent to a group of people. I don't see how I could manage those mail group names which are also users in JIRA. As it is also specific for JIRA I don't see how they would be of any use in Confluence.
I did some playing in our test JIRA and I could not work out how to simply change the group names. This would be easiest. Would I need to create the new groups, add the users in and then change all the references from the old group name to the new name such as in the permission schemes, workflow post conditions, etc? I am hoping not as that would be a huge amount of work which I would not know where to begin.
Is it better to manage confluence and jira authentication differently? We want to integrate them as much as we can.
Appreciate any advice
Thanks, Andrew