I know this topic has been discussed many times and there are a lot of add-ons, scripts and home grown solutions out there, but based on my research, I am still unable to address my dilemma when it comes to accurately reporting estimated time and reported time as it relates to Epics, Stories and Sub-tasks.
Our goal is simple, properly estimate the time required to complete an Epic based on the estimated time entered in the Story or Sub-Task of that Story. Then, accurately report the time spent on the Epic based on those Stories and Sub-Tasks.
Example –

Here, we are adding the estimated time to the Stories in hopes that it would roll up to the Epic. Unfortunately, it is not. Are we doing something wrong?
How can we enter estimated time and log time against a Story or Sub-Task and have that accurately roll up to the Epic? My thought is to create a script listener that would calculate the values and update the parent issue:
- Story to Epic
- Sub-Task to Story
If you all think this is the best approach, does anyone have a script for this and would be willing to share?
If there is a better approach, I’m all ears. Maybe we are supposed to be estimated at the parent level first, then using that value as a cap in the child issues. But, I would think I would still need a script to manage the value accurately, restricting me from entering a number that exceeded the total calculated value.
We have Epic Sum Up and Scriptrunner for Jira, so I’m thinking we should be able to accomplish our goal.
Thank you very much in advance for your assistance!