We're running Confluence Server 6.5
I'm one of the Confluence admins
We have a group (Basic Access) that grants access to Confluence. Most everyone in the company is in that group and it gives them the basic user access to Confluence (adding/editing pages, attachments, blogs, and comments). Now, I need to restrict access for a single space to just a few users.
The way I see it, there are two ways of doing this.
Method 1:
- Go to Space Tools > Permissions.
- On the Permissions tab, remove the permissions for the Basic Access group.
- Add the people who should have access in the Individual Users section. Give them the permissions they need.
Method 2:
- Go the the home page for the space and open the restrictions dialog box (click the red lock icon).
- Click the drop-down and select "Viewing and editing restricted." This removes the access for "Everyone" except for me.
- Add each of the users who need access to this space, choosing "Can view and edit" for each of them.
- Apply the changes.
Method 1 is granting (and removing) specific permissions. Method 2 is granting (and removing) access to the space with or without edit authority. What I need to know is what am I missing? Are there other differences between the two methods? Is one preferable over the other? Any insights into this would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Kathy