Hello,
Technical writer on the job for about a month and a half. I had the interesting experience of my first face-to-face sit-down with my manager, yesterday.
I reiterated a couple of my key frustrations with Confluence, one of them being not being able to do a search-and-replace in more than one page at a time. Across a space might be too global; across a page tree would be a good fit.
But, of course, "Hey, you wanna do THAT? Buy the plug-in!" I'd like the CSS Stylesheet macro, and the Bob Swift CLI. This is an incredible company in a lot of great ways, but they're gun-shy about plug-ins, and I completely understand. Cost. Maintenance. Possible disruption of what works now.
He had an interesting idea: Export the target page tree to XML, do the search-and-replace in Word (or, I think, any plaintext editor could work), then re-import.
Has anyone actually tried this, though? If so, were you successful? Not? Some of both? Trials and tribulations?
Thank you,
Pat O'Connell
Montreal