I've inherited our Jira, which is currently a bit of a disaster. One thing I want to sort out is our main development board used by our dev team. I'm new to configuring Jira.
We use Scrum. When developing new features, we have functional user stories from the Product Owners, then as developers we have a meeting and create technical subtasks per functional user story. This is great, but there are two issues with our Jira implementation.
(When I say "board", I mean a board with cards that you move along. "Todo", "In development", "Review", etc etc)
1) Currently the functional user stories and the stories' subtasks are on the same board. This is confusing - currently we have a bunch of userstories in "To do", and some of them have some technical tasks that are under developement, some tech tasks are done. Visibility and estimation is next to impossible with this uber-board. It seems to me that there should be one board for functional stories, and then another mini board per functional user story itself that tracks that story's subtasks.
2) Not all functional user stories have any subtasks. I know that we can get around this by making one technical task under each functional story, but I want to know if there is better way of handling this heirachy.
You can see an actual screenshot of our board here: http://imgur.com/iAFJ7tm
How do people handle this? What are some seach terms to get some ideas?
Cheers!