We are integrating multiple systems, where data can be passed only as comment. Due to this we need to copy the value of a custom field to the comments. We want to use just the dafault functionalities which come with JIRA Software.
Hello,
I'm not sure that you can achieve this without addons I'm quite sure you can't but, but there is a neat add-on I use for this kind of stuff, its called Jira suite utilities. JSU so it basically gives you extra options on post functions, the one you need is "Copy Value From Other Field (JSU)" you can copy from custom filed to comment and the other way around.
But the only trick is as you probably know post functions work on workflow transition, so you would need to transition to a new status after imputing data in custom filed.
If I were in this situation and I don't have a transition on workflow I would just add one, like help or step just to achieve this transition, you can test this add 30 days for free.
I helped me a lot, to some very useful stuff, you can do anything with it if you can think creatively.
Hi Red,
Thanks for the response.
As I shared earlier, we are integrating multiple systems and due to this it is not possible to add a new transition as it will impacts the integrated systems as well.
The custom field is being populated by another system; is it possible to push/publish a comment when it gets updated?
Okay, you can achieve that with Script runner listener but I'm not skilled on that filed am afraid.
I know you stated previously you don't want to do this using a script, does something happen when someone updates this custom filed?
As far as my knowledge goes you can do this eider with script or post function, sorry.
But I'm just a noob so maybe there is a way that I don't know.
https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/listeners.html
Found a post that may help.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Groovy-script-for-copying-custom-fields-as-a-comment/qaq-p/896003
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.