Hello everyone,
Is it possible to add time estimates and logging to a task on a next-gen board?
Thanks
Dan.
Time estimation and time tracking is now available on Team-managed projects (formerly known as next-gen)
Hi Daniel,
Time tracking isn't available yet on Next-Gen projects but is on the short-term roadmap. You can check out what's on the roadmap and what's recently shipped here: atlassian.com/roadmap
I'd also recommend checking out this Community article where one of our Product Managers discusses what's available in Next-Gen projects and what hasn't been shipped yet.
Cheers,Daniel
First off, great name.
Thanks for your answer. As much as I'd love to use the next-gen system, there's not much point if I can't track time.. so I'll wait for now.
I agree. If features that you've come to depend on in a classic project are not available in a next-gen project, then migrating doesn't make sense. Furthermore there seems to be a good deal of risk involved in transitioning if you are not fully aware of all the features that might be missing or not behave as they previously did.
As a non-Daniel, I was wondering. I couldn't find time tracking on that roadmap link. Is it still not ready? I did see it in some explanations but can't seem to get it working.
hi, any updates on this issue for next gen? is there any time estimation on when it will be available again?
thanks,
Tal
I am curious to know about this as well. Pretty big feature for us that is missing
Hi,
I really could do with the feature too. I've started using next-gen project and have come to the point when I need to start tracking time and find its missing.
How is "time" not one of the most crucial functions (note I did not call it a "feature") of a project tracking management system? I should be shocked that this was released.
Perhaps there is no time estimate because there is no "Time" function in the project to manage it. ;-)
Ironically it's the 'timekeeping' aspect of JIRA which keeps me loyal. A lot of other project management systems don't offer it either. I sure hope that's not a sign of a future trend..
I was getting my team to switch over to next-gen. Set up one project for scrum development and I now find that there is no way of input time estimate per story.
This makes it useless for project or product management. Can you please tell me how I can convert a story point to a time frame? I get that you can edit the high-level roadmap. But now we end up just drawing whatever times we want.
I see this has been a request since late last year. Whatever happened to the agile way of actually listening to your users? Disappointed with JIRA.
Just created my first next-gen project, but now I have to delete it and go back to the "classic" way because of this.
We found there is Time-tracking feature available now, along with Story Point Estimate field, however the Time remaining value is not calculated... Is there some settings to make it working? Thanks in advance!
Apologies, I found resolution - user just needs to provide initial value for Time Remaining field and next time Spent Time value added - the remaining time is calculated automatically.
Hi everyone,
We are kicking off research into original time estimates in the next 2 weeks, so we can build it for next-gen projects!
If you're keen to have a chat with us (we will thank you with a gift voucher for your time), please book a chat with us at https://calendly.com/iteong/jira-software-next-gen?month=2019-10
Note that there will be limited availabilities in my schedule, so if you're keen to chat, please schedule something as soon as you can.
Many thanks and looking forward to chat with you soon!
Regards,
Ivan Teong
Product Manager, Jira Software
Hi Ivan!
Any updates on hours estimation feature?
How is this not the most important feature on your roadmap?
As everybody telling you - this is absolutely essential.
HI,
Seriously ?!?
How can you work with a project task management whitout original time estimate ?
Story poinst could be useful, sometime, but original time estimate is a MUST.
Time tracking is enable, but whitout original time estimate ? what is the goal ?
I think Next gen project is not ready to use, ...
Patrick P.
Yes, that's correct. We also do this way. But, what you said in your first reply should be genuine flow. If someone assigns Story Points (4hr each) to a Task then it's remaining time should update to that value. Wouldn't you agree?
@Yashpal Meena sure, agree, the way we do it now is just some work around - however, even this way doesn't give us probably the most important thing - simple time report by tasks/members. So we are still waiting for the complete time-tracking feature in place.
Can you estimate how long* it will take to get this basic feature into Next Gen?
*Ironically, it is pointless without it.
It's really ironic that such a critical and basic feature for Agile teams is taking so long from the team that created the most used tool by Agile teams ! . I am totally stopping the use of Next-Gen project because the lack of this feature.
2 years ago - this doesn't have a field yet that lets you put a number? Guess we'll just create our own.
It really is quite disappointing that time based estimates have not been added after all this time. For those of us who have to interact with the business, story points are a meaningless measure of effort in those discussions.
This is must-have feature, can't work without it.
this made me chuckle.
Needed in order to move forward with JIRA.
Do you know when full time-track functionality will come on next-gen projects?
+1 time estimations are important and crucial.
Remaining time is a very important feature of planning, and is crucial for managing the projects.
When will this be available?
We're working around this by treating the story points field as original estimate. We're not coordinated enough to use data to determine what our velocity is, so we might as well use that field for something useful
It was quite surpising to set up all projects and people just to realise afterwards that there is no time planning. We have to do the same work again in classic mode. Sh**.
i have started using next gen board for logging non development hours.. and to some how have my hands on it. but how can such a small feature of adding estimates is missing , how one can calculate estimated vs actual ??
and it is not a rocket science.
remainig time is already there in Time tracking , the missing part is Original estimates.
May be TEMPO Planner will work .. as a plug for estimating ..
You want to delete or you want to move your backlog to classic board??? deleting is very easy though if you have rights
Not really, it shows time estimate as "not specified" in the task...
Also waiting for this feature.
Still waiting for this
+1 for this, I started using next gen recently, and besides having a roadmap in addition, I can't really see the point of using Next Gen and having all the important features from the classic version removed. Making Jira simpler means most importantly improving the user experience and flow, not just removing features.
Do you have any JIRA issue open for this "feature" so we can follow?
Same as the one for the "Issue workflows"
Finally they start working on this one:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17248
I've just wasted two hours migrating issues to a next gen project, which is now worthless. I'm utterly bemused that this issue was raised over two years ago and it still isn't there. It feels like next gen is being sidelined within Atlassian perhaps? Time to create a new classic project and move them over to that...
is it possible to move the backlog to a classic board?? Please fill me in!
Hi Team (especially @jstamm-s101),
Can you please elaborate more on how you used the "Story Point Estimate" field to store the original estimate in time (in terms of hours or days) and not as the "story points" per se?
We are in a similar dilemma for long without having any clue whatsoever.
If anyone can help us, it'll be of great help!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.