We are migrating users from one AD instance to another. The catch is that the usernames are changing as part of this migration. JDoe changes to john.doe for instance.
I was able to update all of the database references to substitute the new userkey (from user_mapping table) for the old userkey.
The problem is in the @mentions - these are embedded in the body content. When I update these userkeys, Confluence complains that the user is unknown. I have tried flushing the cache and restarting confluence to see if that fixes it, but it does not.
I am aware of the kb article https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-rename-the-user-unknown-user-as-the-content-creator-caused-by-user-deletion-740001947.html
It appears the recreating the old usernames in the internal Confluence directory works but it is really ugly to have a set of inactive users just to make the @mentions map to the new users.
Any other ideas as to how to address this problem? Why doesn't Confluence pick up the new usernames from the embedded userkey?