Atlassian recommendation for backup is to use native backup tools.
But if we use that, will we be able to restore JIRA from a database backup? Can we test that it is possible to restore JIRA from such a backup?
I tested this and found that this doesn't work. Not with JIRA 6.3.12.
I installed 6.3.12 on a new machine and have restored
- JIRA home /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/
- JIRA install /opt/atlassian/JIRA
- PostgreSQL database
I checked the configuration to make sure that dbconfig.xml is pointing to the new database.
After (re)starting JIRA, JIRA starts the setup wizard, not my restored JIRA instance. The setup wizard does offer the option of importing data but my understanding is that this is the XML backup, not the backup created native backup tools.
So it seems that contrary to Atlassian documentation restore using native tools is not supported. It would be wise to update the documentation to make 100% clear that there is no purpose in creating backups using native tools.
Is this the same for other Atlassian products? Confluence for example.