To clarify, I'm NOT using JIRA Service Desk, I'm using JIRA Core.
We're using JIRA to track issues in a design/software company.
Often issues are waiting on some client action; examples are:
- waiting for a spec
- waiting for a quote to be approved
- waiting for a client to provide content
- waiting for a demo to be signed off
I've tried to implement this by using custom workflows, but there are some downsides to this:
- We have to create a lot of statuses (is this bad? It makes workflow diagrams complex, and means there's a lot of transitions to different 'waiting on client' statuses)
- Issues in some 'waiting on client' state stay in our "my issues" queue. I can filter them out with a custom filter, but I have to manually select all statuses I want to see; I'm concerned that I might start missing issues if I then alter the workflows again
- I have to select a status type (Todo/in progress/done) for these statuses; but 'todo' and 'in progress' seem to suggest that the issue is in our ball court to deal with, and 'done' seems like it should only be used for resolved issues. There doesn't seem to be an appropriate status type, which suggests to me perhaps I'm doing it wrong? I feel there should be some way to group all these 'waiting on client' type statuses.
- I want to add an automation task to remind us to nag customers who aren't responding (I think I can use ScriptRunner for this?) but again, I suspect I'd need to manually select all the 'waiting on client' statuses, which feels wrong.
Am I doing this the right way, or is there a better way? This seems like a very common issue JIRA users would have, but I can't see any obvious solutions.