Being fairly new to GIT, I'm trying to understand the best way to approach this situation:
Situation:
- I have a repository set up which contains a 'boilerplate' website I have built (let's call it the boilerplate repository)
- I use this boilerplate repository as the starting point for all of my projects
- All of my projects must have their own repository, so they're not set up under the boilerplate repository
How I currently work:
- At the moment I'm setting up a new repository for my new project (e.g. exampleproject repository)
- Copying all of the files inside my boilerplate repository's working copy
- Pasting them into my exampleproject repository's working copy
- Then pushing them up to the exampeproject repository
Problem:
- It feels like there should be a better way to simply copy (clone?) a repository's code into another empty repository, so that you can use it as the starting point.
- I'm familar with git fetch and it sounds like that command may be what I'm looking for, but I'm hoping somebody can clarify and suggest best the practice.
I'm using Source Tree to manage my repositories, along with Beanstalk.