Hi, I am new to an organization and I have inherited their tools and methods for 2 projects that are already partially in flight.
My dilemma is that the implementations I am working on are both going to follow waterfall. I understand what is good about JIRA, I am perfectly fine with it but my square peg is not fitting.
I have read several threads in this vein that did not yield much help. I am not interested in a discussion around the merits of agile. The development work is going into JIRA. I cannot implement a new methodology over night. End of story. I know someone has been in this position and I am sure someone has done this better than me.
I am trying to run these projects with MS Project and JIRA in parallel to produce the granularity and data I need. I hope to learn from this exercise and come away with a better plan for next time.
However, there is a fundamental mapping issue between single units of work (be it story, task or sub-task) moving through a workflow/process and the multiple line items that would be needed to track and properly manage the tasks in MS Project. I am also missing basic data like start dates and work estimates in JIRA. I have tasks that are not in JIRA occurring on the business side. I am not fighting a battle to put everything in JIRA. I can understand their position. Make it visible, keep status up to date and I will be good with MS Project.
This is looking to be an ineffective and laborious pursuit at this point. I don't like it. I don't have any better ideas.
Apps, add-ons, integrations, ideas how to organize work, ideas around configuration to produce/extract meaningful data from JIRA to manage a project that is not going to fit in the agile box, anything? I will most likely be adding some dates to help me at the very least.
I appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experienced a similar scenario and lived to tell the tale.
Thanks!