I am migrating issues from one Jira instance (the source) to another Jira instance (the destination).
I am exporting issues via CSV and then importing the CSV to the destination.
I have several multi-line text fields which have newlines embedded - some are custom fields, but system fields (e.g. Description) display the same behavior.
In the source Jira the field looks like this:
MyValue-1
MyValue-2
MyValue-3
When I check the exported CSV (exported via Better Excel add-on), I see the data in the specific column as this (double-quotes included), which is what Jira requires (see link at the end):
some-previous-column-value<tab>"MyValue-1<CR><LF>
MyValue-2<CR><LF>
MyValue-3<CR><LF>
"<tab>next-column-value
The <CR> and <LF> are the actual carriage return and linefeed characters.
After performing the CSV import, in the destination Jira, the CR/LF are gone and the field value is:
MyValue-1MyValue2MyValue-3
My CSV file is on Windows, the destination Jira runs on Linux, not sure about the OS of the source Jira.
Any idea?
Thanks
P.S. I have performed export/import of comments (also via the Better Excel add-on) and the same problem happens there as well.
======================
The Jira docs (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver0711/importing-data-from-csv-955168458.html) says:
Use double-quote marks (") in your CSV file to capture data that spans multiple lines