We created a new Elastic Bamboo Image Configuration to try out a Cluster Compute Quadruple Extra Large Instance. We entered an Atlassian stock AMI ID: ami-e4399e8d.
It turns out, however, that Cluster Compute machines are required to have an AMI that has HVM virtualization and is EBS-backed, and the Atlassian stock AMIs that we know about are all paravirtual AMIs. When we try to build with this config, the instance launch errors out with an appropriate error message about needing an HVM AMI.
As far as I can tell, you can't convert a paravirtual AMI to HVM; you have to start with Amazon's stock HVM AMIs. I could be wrong, but that's what all the doc I see suggests.
I can't find anything listing Atlassian's stock AMIs in the doc; the only place I see the AMI IDs is in the default configs.
So: is there an Elastic Bamboo stock HVM AMI that can be launched on a Cluster Compute machine? If so, what's the AMI ID, and how would we usually find it? If not, is there any way to make one? Otherwise, it seems like Cluster Compute instances are just incompatible with Bamboo.