I suspect the issue is the Atlassian walkthrough guide is messy and non-linear. I have had to navigate forwards and backwards and have become lost where I am up to.
Regardless, I have proceeded to this part of the setup and noticed the Atlassian walkthrough jumps over the 'how to connect jira to mysql' or something along those lines.
Everything is default and has been very difficult.
Here's the code in the logs when trying to 'Set up application properties' when I select next.
[code]
2018-09-24 09:11:13,856 http-nio-8080-exec-15 ERROR anonymous 551x49x1 z1whuc 192.168.1.120 /secure/SetupApplicationProperties.jspa [c.a.j.w.action.setup.SetupApplicationProperties] Error activating indexing with path 'null': com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FROM project ORDER BY pname (You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ', DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FR' at line 1)
com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, pname, URL, LEAD, DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FROM project ORDER BY pname (You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ', DESCRIPTION, pkey, pcounter, ASSIGNEETYPE, AVATAR, ORIGINALKEY, PROJECTTYPE FR' at line 1)
at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCachedReference.get(DelegatingCachedReference.java:91)
at com.atlassian.jira.project.archiving.ArchivedProjectStatistics.getArchivedIssuesCount(ArchivedProjectStatistics.java:28)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager.size(DefaultIndexManager.java:749)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
... 1 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.atlassian.jira.config.component.SwitchingInvocationHandler.invoke(SwitchingInvocationHandler.java:38)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy167.size(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.context.Context$Builder.build(Context.java:186)
at com.atlassian.jira.util.index.Contexts.percentageLogger(Contexts.java:34)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.SetupApplicationProperties.doExecute(SetupApplicationProperties.java:155)
... 1 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
... 7 filtered
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:742)
... 48 filtered
at com.atlassian.greenhopper.jira.filters.ClassicBoardRouter.doFilter(ClassicBoardRouter.java:62)
... 12 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
... 58 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraSecurityFilter.java:66)
... 1 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter.doFilter(JiraSecurityFilter.java:64)
... 39 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.doFilter(CorrelationIdPopulatorFilter.java:30)
... 10 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.request.RedirectInterceptingFilter.doFilter(RedirectInterceptingFilter.java:21)
... 4 filtered
at com.atlassian.web.servlet.plugin.LocationCleanerFilter.doFilter(LocationCleanerFilter.java:36)
... 26 filtered
at com.atlassian.jira.servermetrics.MetricsCollectorFilter.doFilter(MetricsCollectorFilter.java:25)
... 24 filtered
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)