Hi All,
I recently carried out a deployment on a large-ish Jira instance (2000 users, 2,709,499 tickets), after deploying to the server I ran a full re-index which ran for 14.5hours and then failed.
After looking into the log I can see reference to an I/O error, as below:
2018-09-16 06:02:04,002 JiraTaskExectionThread-1 ERROR aaliomar 1191x190x1 emm4t4 10.18.71.79,10.46.183.112 /secure/admin/IndexReIndex.jspa [jira.util.index.CompositeIndexLifecycleManager] Reindex All In Background FAILED. Indexer: DefaultIndexManager: paths: [/data/atlassian/application-data/jira/caches/indexes/comments, /data/atlassian/application-data/jira/caches/indexes/issues, /data/atlassian/application-data/jira/caches/indexes/changes]
org.ofbiz.core.util.GeneralRuntimeException: Error getting the next result (I/O Error: Connection reset)
As the instance was required the next working day, I then kicked off a background re-index which then also failed the following day, from what I can see online this error seems to be something slightly different and is possibly caused by a known issue whereby a ticket has been modified and deleted during the background re-index, see log below:
[jira.util.index.CompositeIndexLifecycleManager] Reindex All In Background FAILED. Indexer: DefaultIndexManager: paths: [/data/atlassian/application-data/jira/caches/indexes/comments, /data/atlassian/application-data/jira/caches/indexes/issues, /data/atlassian/application-data/jira/caches/indexes/changes]
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.index.DefaultIssueIndexer$4.consume(DefaultIssueIndexer.java:340)
I have subsequently kicked off another background re-index, this time remove the delete issues permission across the instance temporarily, however this time I got the I/O connection reset error again!
Today I have kicked of ANOTHER background re-index to see if I get the same issue, but wondered if anyone had any other ideas I could consider? My thinking atm is that I seem to be struggling with resource on the hardware (which is shared for other things!) and that is killing the re-indexes.