Title says it all. Has anyone successfully ran Mariadb instead of mysql with Confluence 5.x?
I've gotten this to work with Confluence 5.1.3.
When configuring the database:
I just got this set up, but everything appears to be functioning properly at this point.
I'm in full agreement that MariaDB should be looked into more as a viable replacement for MySQL. It should be interesting seeing what happens as distributions switch over to it.
Hello Victor,
I would like to add my opinion and point of view here, so as MariaDB is not a supported database, I did not see any customer using this database (even it is a db server developed by some of the original authors of MySQL). Maybe in the future this DB server can be supported, but actually just the databases listed in our supported platforms are recommended for Confluence 5.x, please see below:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Supported+Platforms
But anyway let's hear from the community if somebody already tried this DB (even it is not supported), maybe another person can also comment here, let's see.
I hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
LJ.
Well, as we see more and more Linux distributions dropping MySQL from being packaged with the OS and using MariaDB instead, I think it at least deserves an answer.
The more interesting question I'd like to know is if Atlassian will support MariaDB at some point in the near future with its products. I think MySQL is going to start to be used less, and use of MariaDB is going to increase since it is now going to be packaged with Fedora and Slackware...while not super-popular distros, they do have a solid following. Fedora is just a gateway to Red Hat proper and CentOS.
To me it would be nice to see support for both. I've already migrated several environments from MySQL backend to MariaDB without a single issue, and our Jira and Conflunce environments are the only ones still riding on top of MySQL.
Overall, the less I have to be dependent on anything coming out of Oracle, the happier I am. I realize that Java is a necessary evil.
I'm not allowed to vote twice. +1
Red Hat announced today at the Red Hat Summit that MariaDB will be replacing MySQL in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, due out late 2013. http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2013/06/12/mariadb-replaces-mysql-in-rhel7
I just tried updating from a 5.1.5 install to 5.2.3. The DB is currently a MariaDB 5.5.23 install and was working fine with mysql-connector-java-5.1.11.jar driver.
When trying to run with mariadb-java-client-1.1.2.jar and the above settings I couldn't get a successful db update.
If anyone has further information about more recent confluence updates and if you've gotten mariadb to update then that would be great.
@Matt what ordering did everything happen for you? Did you start with an installation with the mysql connector and then switched to the maria connector, or was it something else?
If you want to follow this issue further, take a look at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-29060 which is the issue tracking formal testing/support for it. They are also looking at it for JIRA.
I have to say, you guys need to fix this and now. It just doesn't work with MariaDB 5.5 at all (saying nothing of v10) and Confluence 5.4... ALL major distributions either HAVE or ARE GOING TO IN THE NEXT RELEASE abandon the Oracle crippled MySQL. If you want your product to remain viable in the fast changing landscape, get on it, it has been almost a year that this was reported.
I have checked the link discussion above and it points back here, you won't get any of my or my company's money right now and if it is not resolved in short order, we will move on to other products - and we would rather pay you. Up to you.
Nothing against mariadb, however Cox' comments about MySQL are not correct at all.
MySQL is not crippled, just look at these performance numbers:
http://dimitrik.free.fr/blog/archives/2013/11/mysql-performance-over-1m-qps-with-innodb-memcached-plugin-in-mysql-57.html
and watch this video from linux.conf.au:
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2014/01/22/past-present-future-mysql-variants-linux-conf-au-2014-talk-video/
Some distros have added mariadb to their repos, that don't mean they have abandon MySQL.
I managed the installation with Confluence 5.4.4 based on
select MySQL External Database, then I put mysql-connector-java-5.1.29-bin.jar in directory /opt/atlassian/confluence/confluence/WEB-INF/lib
restart Confluence, then choose
I made several settings and tests after Confluence has been installed. Everything seems to be stable; no errors in logfiles found so far.
But MariaDB is very slow - at least on my Synology. Any ideas?
RHEL 7 is out. No MySQL. MariaDB is the way the major distros are moving. Atlassian needs to move, too, or get lost in the shuffle.
I tried Mariadb 10.0 on windows 7 64bit
JIRA 6.2.1 (64-bit).
Mariadb did seem to work (other than I had to use msql jdbc driver, as JIRA was looking at com.mysql.jdbc package while mariadb has org.mariadb.jdbc (jar tvf <connection jar> with plain old Jira.
However, I could not make jira-agile work. I think other plugins were working, at least the default ones that JIRA has, but jira-agile just would not run. I could see it was a valid license, I un-installed it, re-installed it, re-indexed, bounced the JIRA admin service, re-ran the granting of permissions in the mariadb for my jirauser account. I could not make it work reliably. I think I got it to spawn a jira-agile project, but not sure. I almost always see JIRA Agile is currently unavailable. This might be because an upgrade task has failed to run or has not not yet completed.
log file snippet has
2015-01-23 11:51:43,828 lexorank-executor-thread-0 ERROR ServiceRunner LEXO_RANK_SCHEDULER_JOB [net.java.ao.sql] Exception executing SQL update <CREATE TABLE AO_60DB71_VERSION ( ID BIGINT AUTO_INCREMENT NOT NULL, START_DATE BIGINT, VERSION_ID BIGINT NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(ID)) ENGINE=InnoDB>java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'ao_60db71_version' already exists at org.mariadb.jdbc.internal.SQLExceptionMapper.get(SQLExceptionMapper.java:138) at org.mariadb.jdbc.internal.SQLExceptionMapper.throwException(SQLExceptionMapper.java:106)
. I am moving to my server to use postgres right now...
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.