I run an all-Mac shop save for the lone token PC that runs my Confluence server (which our company could not live without!) At the time we set it up I did not see an option for running a C-server under a Mac-native environment but that seems to have changed (or I missed it at the onset). I am working my 2015 budget and would love to migrate my Confleunce install to a new MacPro... is that possible? Would the purchased plug-ins (all thru the ATlassian store) migrate as well? Many thanks.
Yes, you can run it as a server on a Mac. But you won't be supported, and it can be a bit of a faff because you have to kick the Mac into running the right version of Java.
Once you've got it running though, the plugins and so-on are almost all platform-agnostic, they'll work fine.
Many thanks Nic; it sounds like at present I will keep it running on the PC (support is a comfort should something wonky ever happen) - but good to know I have the option. Thanks and cheers.
The vast amount of Confluence development is actually done on Macs, if that gives you any peace of mind.
For what it's worth, I recently did a migration of both Confluence and JIRA from Windows Server to Red Hat Linux. If you are in a position to perform this conversion, I highly recommend it. The performance improvements were significant and made supporting the system much simpler overall.
Reason I suggest this to you is the cost savings - you can install a "Red Hat-esqe" operating system such as CentOS or Fedora (or Red Hat itself if you have the budget for the license) and depending on your database back-end, the transition should be relatively seemless.
It does indeed Don, thanks!
Many thanks - I will give that a look!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.