Hi
We have BitBucket Server installed locally (on a Windows server) and I have set up the mail server settings so that notification emails can be sent to users from BitBucket Server (i.e. reset password emails, etc). It works fine until I tick the 'Use SSL/TLS if available' box at which point the emails stop getting sent.
On the 'Mail server configuration' page there is a 'Send a test email' section. The test email works fine with the 'Use SSL/TLS if available' box unticked and fails when it is ticked so I am certain that's the problem.
The BitBucket system states the following (for the 'Use SSL/TLS if available' option):
If the SMTP server supports the STARTTLS extension this will be used to encrypt mail with SSL/TLS otherwise plaintext will be used.
I contacted the people that host our mail server about it and their response was the following:
It should work fine, your server supports SSL/TLS/STARTTLS so it shouldn't have any issues connecting with that option enabled. As it may be using a self-signed certificate then you may need to tell it to accept potentially invalid certificates but normally that's the default.
I don't know how to do what they are suggesting. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
Thanks