Hi all,
Could some one give examples of how to set permissions and how to manage spaces? should everyone have permission to create spaces?
@Harini Gangaraj
Best!
Hi @Harini Gangaraj,
Here are my suggestions:
1. Allow each user to create their own private space2. The system administrator is responsible for creating the public space
For space permissions, please refer to:
https://docs.atlassian.com/confluence/docs-69/Global+Permissions+Overview
Hi @Harini Gangaraj!
I'm on the Confluence marketing team and this is a great question that we receive a lot. Space setup is unique to each company, and it depends how you want your company to be using Confluence. Generally we recommend spaces for:
And to add extra examples - Here at Atlassian, Confluence is a pretty open workspace where we all have the freedom to create spaces for our team or for specific projects. So we keep our permissions very open throughout the whole company. The benefit of this is that everyone feels like they can both create and contribute (versus just being a bystander and consuming information), as well as take ownership of their work. If i'm owning a project, I may create a space for it and set my own permissions for that space where only I can delete pages, but anyone can contribute since I know my team will be large, I'll be getting a lot of stakeholder feedback from many different places, I'll have multiple people/teams involved that I may not anticipate yet, etc.
In regards to it getting disorganized or overwhelming, it can happen, but we also just trust that people will take the time to clean up their space, archive old pages, etc. Sometimes we give specific roles on the team, like a confluence gardener, who at the end of every quarter will go through and archive irrelevant information/pages.
Anyway - I'm babbling 😉 but I hope that helps a bit!
Thank you @Moses Thomas for the very quick reply. Should everyone in the team have permission to create spaces in an organization. Will it be difficult to manage too many spaces? We just installed confluence - please excuse me if I am asking dumb questions
Hi @Ollie Guan , Thank you - this is exactly what I was looking for.
@Harini GangarajIt depends , on what you define in you global permission, if you give this users/group then they will be able to .
we use the same setting in our company as Ollie described. I would not let anyone create public spaces. I assume, this would end up in a extremely large number of rarely used spaces.
If someone needs a space, we create it according to our company CI and set some basic permissions and other settings, add them to overview pages etc.
@Thomas SchlegelBut every body should be able to create personal space, as this make sense to me
Hi @Kesha Thill,
Thank you for all the suggestions. We are a very small team for now. I will keep your suggestions handy.
Hi,
We allow the creation of public spaces. However, we use our App Space Tree Creator (STC). This App allows the creation of a space based on a STC-space (any Confluence space) and the authorizations to be copied from the STC-space. Possible usages are project spaces, quotation spaces, etc.You can find our Space Tree Creator on the Marketplace.
Regards,Stephan (CEO of EPS Software Engineering AG, the vendor of the Space Tree Creator)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.